May 21, 2008

What you will not find on this blog

Stock tips – I do not believe in giving or receiving it. My approach is to analyse a stock and post the facts and my opinions. I would leave it to the reader to accept or reject my analysis. It is upto the reader to take a decision to buy or avoid the stock. I don’t even recommend stocks to my friends and family. If they make money based on my tip its because they were smart to take my advise. If they lose, I am to be blamed for the stupid tip. So either way it’s a no win proposition for me.

Price targets – I don’t believe in them. It is difficult enough to analyse a company and arrive at the intrinsic value. I think it close to impossible to predict when the market would close the valuation gap. So price targets are basically guesses and my guess is as good as anyone else. I am personally not selling a research report and don’t need to satisfy anyone’s need for a predicition. So better not to predict the unpredictable

Market, interest rate, and other short term prediction – No different than trying to predict stock prices. Only more difficult if not impossible

Analysis of gold, real estate, option etc – I do not have sufficient skills to do justice to these topics. Maybe options in the future, but I doubt gold and real estate.

Reviews or sales pitch – This blog is more of a personal interest. The ads you see are contextual ads from yahoo or from a few sponsors.


Net Net , this blog is an expression of my personal passion – investing and all things about it. I have no interest in selling anything and if I do manage to make some money from sponsorship – well that will hopefully pay for my coffee :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rohit. Now this is the dry sarcastic humor that one needs at 6 in the evening after work.

"If they make money based on my tip its because they were smart to take my advise. If they lose, I am to be blamed for the stupid tip."

"...don’t need to satisfy anyone’s need for a predicition."

Need for a prediction. Thats got me fresh again this time of the day. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....keep it up man.

Mohit

Rohit Chauhan said...

Hi mohit

you may experienced the same ..isnt it ? if you recommended a stock and if it went down, your friend or family will remind you of that. but if it was successful, not a peep.

so if some one asks me , i will tell them what i am holding , but let them know that i am not recommending anything specific.

giving stock tips is a quick way to lose friends and goodwill :)

regards
rohit

Vidyanshu Pandey said...

Hi Rohit,

Although, I keep thinking about why we do not have a site where we can select members based on their knowledge, passion and aptitude. These members can then share their stock picks exactly as you do - give a thesis as per value investing/GARP principles and name the intrinsic value/point of entry. These people can then offer a holding criteria and define what they believe should be points of exit. Other members being knowledgeable can the evaluate and make their own decisions.

Membership could be by invitation. I have seen at least 4-5 members on your blog itself who have an appreciation of behavioral finance as well as valuation/value investing principles. At most you need about 8-10 members to have 20 picks or more(assuming 2 picks per member). It could be a win-win to all...

Best Regards.